Monday, March 16, 2009

Lizzie: God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world

Helloooooo,

Since I always write long posts I'll put subject headings above each section in case you want to skip around and only read part of it at a time.


I'm EMPLOYED

First off for those of you who don’t know, I got a job! Finally! It’s at another beadstore, yeah, I know I said I was done with beadstores, but I really couldn’t refuse work. Unemployment isn’t that great, I mean, I’m glad I signed up to claim unemployment because that, along with some of the money I got from selling my car, meant I didn’t have to sell my body to make rent money. There were also many signs telling me I needed to apply for/get the job, such as:

1) duh, it’s a beadstore and I’m kinda qualified, and seriously what retail places are hiring for fulltime positions right now? Not many.

2) it’s located on church st. and my bead store back on the Vineyard is on church st.

3) it’s next to an ice cream shop named Lizzy’s (they spelled the name wrong but I guess I can live with it)


Visitors

Sean Nash came back from New Zealand for an interview for Vet. School at Tufts and stayed with Katie and me. He and Kylie have been living there since October. Sean was not so excited about spending the money to come all the way back, but Tufts insisted on an in-person interview. It was worth it though because he got in! So he and Kylie will be living in Boston next year. It was nice to see him, and also our friend Leah from Skidmore came down to Boston to see us too.


Emily and Cait came to visit and we had tons o fun, especially making fun of the fish in the aquarium. Emily did a good job summarizing on the blog here.


Kiss me my teeth are green, I mean, I'm Irish

Saturday night Katie hosted a St. Patrick’s Day feast/dinner party. It was amazing, she made corned beef, cabbage and potatoes, a stout stew with lamb, Irish soda bread, and an Irish car bomb cake. Everything was delicious, but especially the cake which was three layers of chocolate cake made with Guinness and soaked in Irish whiskey with Bailey’s frosting in between the layers. We had the party at Katie’s boyfriend’s friend’s apartment because he has a great party apartment. Of course, as with most nights, I have a story:


So I decided I would put green food coloring in my beer to make it green. Well, the coloring came out really fast and made my beer SUPER green and therefore my whole mouth turned green. [sidenote: I wonder if my teeth are super absorbent because they easily change color according to the beverage I am drinking, like with my purple red wine teeth.hmm] Then I spilled the super green beer on my jeans. And for some miraculous reason (it must have been the luck of the Irish) I had decided to bring an extra pair of jeans with me earlier that day since I came straight from work. So I went in the bathroom to change and saw that the green had oozed through my pants and made my legs green too. So I had green pants, legs, teeth, hands, and a green tongue. I was able to get most of it off and changed my pants, but not without everyone there knowing. Then yesterday I went to the famous Boston St. Patrick’s Day Parade in Southie (South Boston), which ended up being kind of lame, but is known to be a large drinking event. I had stayed up way too late the night before and therefore didn’t partake in the drinking at the parade, even though my mother encouraged me to. I have never seen so much green in my life, it was a sea of green people packed into the subway. Then everywhere I went around Boston yesterday there were people still decked out in their St. Patty's Day gear. I also got an awkward sunburn on just the left side of my face and there's a nice little white line where my sunglasses were.


June is just around the corner, eek!

I've already been thinking about packing and have started to buy things for Kenya. I need to find a place that sells cute skirts with pockets in them since apparently women volunteers wear skirts about 95% of the time. if anyone has ideas, let me know. At least I've found out that a large number of businesses give discounts to Peace Corps volunteers, which is exciting. It's just really crazy to be thinking about what to pack for 2 years for an unfamiliar place. They'll give me a packing list when it gets closer. Well that subject brings me to...


Lizzie Fest

I hope everyone’s prepared for Lizzie Fest on Memorial Day Weekend (May 22-25). There will be barbecueing, boozing, and perhaps some badminton in our back yard. There’s plenty of room in our house (after counting up our sofas, beds, and air mattresses we have space for about 10-12 people (depending on how cozy people are willing to get and even more space if people don’t mind being on the floor) so get ready for a massive sleepover, yay! You'll all get a facebook invite in the future, I just wanted to give people a super heads up so they can ask for time off if need be.


NYC

I bought my bus ticket to come to NYC when Claire’s there that last weekend in March. I work on Saturday so I don’t arrive until 10:45pm on Saturday the 28th but I’ll be there until Monday when I leave at 4pm. So, I’ll see some of you soon!


S is for Swahili

Ok as usual, it was a long update. Here’s your reward: more Swahili vocab.

Mbili (mm bee lee)= the number two

Ndizi (nn dee zee)= banana

Baisikeli (bi see kehl ee)= bicycle

2 comments:

claire said...

Lizzie Fest!!!! I'll be there :) I'll be trying to plan my life around that, actually, as a stop on my way over to London, if all works out well. Thus, hooray!!

Lizzie said...

YAY YAY YAY YAY YAYYYYYY!!!!